Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Seafood deliciousness


I'm a big seafood guy. Growing up, seafoods, fish in particular, was a part of my everyday diet. Maybe that's why I try to seek out seafood dishes every chance I get, but seafood is so expensive around this area for some reason. Luckily, I travel to Virginia Beach about twice a month to visit my parents, and the markets there have very reasonable prices for seafood ($4 per/lb shrimp, $2 per/lb fishes). I think it has to do with competition, and being closer to the source that makes the prices so affordable.

When I was searching online for a good Italian seafood recipe, I was not happy with the results. Some requires too many ingredients, while others suggest expensive types of fish; none of them really offers what I wanted to make. The only thing that was left for me to do was to create a dish of my own that hopefully captures the spirit of an Italian meal, while cooking what I want to eat. The result, delicious. You can check out the rest of the photos for this dish and other dishes on my Flickr account.

Ingredients:
  • Fish fillet (I used Rock fish), garlic, onion, salt, black peppers, flour, fresh roma tomatoes, white wine (pretty much any white wine that you would drink; I chose a chardonnay for its fruity aroma which lends itself nicely with fish ), pasta.
Cooking Directions:
  • Start off seasoning the fish with salt and pepper, then coating it with a little bit of flour so that it'll be crispy when you fry it.
  • With medium-high heat, add olive oil and fry the fish until both sides are golden brown.
  • On a separate pan, you'll make your sauce by adding butter, garlic, and onions, and cook them until they're soft.
  • Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the wine. 
  • Add freshly chopped tomatoes to the pan, and stir occasionally. 
  • Season with salt and pepper to taste. 
  • Reduce the sauce until you get a saucy consistency. 
  • Sprinkle dry parsley and oregano into the sauce and you're ready to serve.
To Serve: 

Pour sauce over pasta and fish to enjoy with a nice glass of wine.

When you can find good seafood at a decent price, you should definitely try this dish as it only cost me about $14 to make ($7 of it was for 2 Rock fish, and we're not counting the wine).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have comments, questions, and/or ideas? Let me know!