Thursday, February 4, 2010

Good Foods vs. Good Health and .... Fish Tacos!

Recently I've been taking my fitness more seriously and really want to evaluate how I'm working out and what I'm putting into my body. For the most part, I'm pretty healthy when it comes to food. I like to use fresh ingredients whenever possible, and  try my best to stay away from fried foods when I see them (sometimes not very successful; I like my fried foods from time to time). I'm also no saints either when it comes to eating what I want to eat. Foods like BBQ, the burgers from Carytown Burgers and Fries, fried fish, and pizzas with beers are always a weekend favorite, especially during football season.

More often than not, I find it hard to be on a healthy diet when it comes to experimenting with different types of foods. I mean, how can you cook something truly authentic, but leave out some "unhealthy" components just for the sake of being "healthy"? I think there should be a balance in there somewhere, but until I truly find it, I'll continue to workout like a madman in order to enjoy the things that I love.

With that being said, cooking and making conscious decisions about what to cook can help eliminate a lot of the good foods vs. good health problem. For instance this week, I'm venturing into Latin cuisines, with the emphasis on cooking healthy, well-balanced meals, while staying on a strict budget. As daunting as this task may seem, I'd managed to find a couple of recipes that will do just that. I will show you a simple fish taco recipe that will be filling as well as great tasting.


Stuff you'll need:  
  • Salmon fillets
  • Corn
  • Tomatoes (chopped into cubes)
  • Lettuce
  • Flour tortillas or hard tacos will work as well
  • Onion (chopped into cubes)
  • Garlic (diced)
  • Salt 
  • Black pepper
  • Chili pepper
  • Chipotle pepper (Diced. I usually get the ones in the Adobo sauce, they're great!)
  • Lime
  • Cumin
  • Grated cheese 
Cooking Directions:
  1. Season the salmon fillets with salt, black peppers, chili peppers, and a little bit of cumin to coat both sides. 
  2. Place fish in the oven and broil for about 6-8 mins, depending on how thick the fillets are. Use less cooking time for thinner slices. 
  3. On a pan over medium-high heat, add olive oil, garlic, and onions and cook until they turn slightly brown.
  4. Add the corn and tomatoes and toss gently until they are slightly soft, about 2-3 mins.
  5. Add salt, black pepper, chipotle pepper, and lime juice to taste. 
To Serve: 

 Put everything together inside the flour tortillas and make a taco; the beauty of making tacos is simply the fact that you can add a lot of condiments into your tacos. I just add some lettuce and a little bit of grated cheese to round out mine. Oh yeah, if you want some more heat, just add some Sriracha sauce on it, you won't regret it... maybe.

 That's all there is to making my version of the fish taco; it's one of those dish that's healthy and delicious so don't be afraid to have more than 1. This dish will cost you around $16 to make, serving 4.

For more fish taco recipes:

Fish Tacos on FoodistaFish Tacos

5 comments:

  1. Since you said the beauty of making tacos is adding condiments, try adding ketchup next time! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of you for keeping up with your posts! Except when I read your posts, I don't want to make the recipes for myself, I just want you to make it for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made fish tacos last night! I like the idea of salmon- I used cod, which was nice, but I think salmon would offer a much richer flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is always good to have healthy and light home food than the fried foods that are available in in fast food centers.It is a lifestyle choice whether you want safe and secure or an obese and dangerous life.

    ReplyDelete

Have comments, questions, and/or ideas? Let me know!