Friday, February 5, 2010

Chicken Mole and Rice


I think it's interesting how almost every country have their own version (or versions) of chicken and rice; perhaps its the fact that something so simple could be so good is the reason why. Whatever the reasons, I know that when it comes to this delicious combinations, it makes me happy. While searching online for a great Latin recipe, I stumble across this "Chicken Mole and Rice" dish that I must try out. For starter, I've never made mole before, so I was pretty excited about process itself. I was elated to know that I have 90% of the recipes in my pantry; talk about an easy dish that will save you some dough at the same time.

So, what the hell is "mole"? According to the very trusting Wikipedia, mole is a general name for many types of thick-rich Mexican sauces that is distinctively different than salsa. These sauces typically served with chicken and other types of meat. If you're interested in reading more about mole, you can check it out here.

For this version of mole, I'm incorporating some heat elements, but you don't have to make it spicy if you don't want to.

Stuff you'll need: 
  • Chipotle peppers with adobo sauce (this is becoming one of my favorite thing to cook with, so much favor and also good amount of heat as well)
  • Chicken thighs, de-boned and cut into cubes
  • Garlic, onion, salt, pepper, and chilli peppers
  • Semi-sweet chocolate 
  • Lettuce
  • Rice
  • Diced tomatoes with tomato sauce (I just get this in a can since it's 2 birds with one stone)
  • Lime
  • Olive oil 
  • Chicken stock 
Cooking directions:  
  1.  With a pan over medium-high heat, add olive oil, then wait about 2 mins before you add the garlic and onions. Cook for about 3 mins or until they're nice and soft.
  2. Add the chicken and cook until all sides turns white.
  3. Add diced tomatoes and a little bit of tomato sauce and stir for about a min.
  4. Add chicken broth, along with diced chipotle peppers and adobo sauce.
  5. Add the semi-sweet chocolate and stir until it's dissolved completely.
  6. Turn the heat down to a simmer and reduce the sauce until its thicken. 
  7. Flavor with salt and peppers to taste. 
  8. Lastly, squeeze half a lime into the sauce and use the zester to add some lime zest to balance everything out.
To Serve:

 With a plate of white rice, add the chicken mole on top, and place some crunchy lettuce for a contrast in texture.

This is an extremely easy and quick dish to prepare; cost wise, it will be around $12-$15 for a serving of 4. The next time however, I will experiment with other veggies in the sauce itself for added flavors. Thanks Christina for the recommendation!

Mole on Foodista

1 comment:

  1. Yay I got a shout-out! I feel so honored. I want to clarify that the chicken mole was amazing, I just wanted more to eat!!

    ReplyDelete

Have comments, questions, and/or ideas? Let me know!